Countless numbers of us, on a daily basis, are faced with the challenge of filling multiple roles. We must be spouses, parents, professionals, etc., and still find time and energy after all that to be health-conscious individuals! Life shouldn't be an exhausting struggle, it should be a collection of one enjoyable, memorable, fulfilling, experience after another, should it not? I mean, pardon the cliché, but life's too short to let it be anything else.

I am a self-proclaimed food hobbyist on a quest to find delicious, healthy, fast, easy-to-make recipes and to successfully make those food adjectives actually belong together in a sentence. I am looking for after work meals that don't come out of a can, that I can enjoy preparing after a long work day, that my family will enjoy eating, and that will allow me to rest assured knowing that we are eating healthy. When I find these meals, I wish to share them with others. Cheers :)

Friday, March 26, 2010

My First Post - Apricot Cake


Ok so here goes, my 1st post, this is mainly a practice run.


I am off tomorrow to St. Catherine's to visit my Great Aunt and Uncle for my Aunt's 80th birthday. I have prepared my aunt and uncle's absolute favorite sweet - apricot cake. The recipe was handed down to me by my dad's sister, and it has become somewhat of a tradition to bring this cake to my dear old uncle whenever we go to visit him.


His eyes light up whenever he sees us coming with a cake can, and my aunt immediately jumps up to put the kettle on because heaven forbid we indulge in this cake without a "nice cup of tea."

Ingredients

1 8oz pkg cream cheese cut into 1" cubes
1/2 lb unsalted butter, softened and cut into 1" cubes
4 eggs
2 tsp. lemon extract
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 cup white sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup water
2 cups dried apricots chopped





Preheat oven to 275F

Mix all wet ingredients until well blended. Add sugar and baking powder, mix until blended. Add 1/2 of the flour, mix until blended. Fold in rest of flour, mix with spoon until blended. Add water 1/4 cup at a time, mix with spoon until batter thins enough to use electric mixer again. Add remaining water, mix until well blended. Fold in apricots.





Grease a 10" bundt pan and line with strips of wax paper until surface is covered.







Pour in batter.








Bake at 275F for approximately 1 1/2 - 1 3/4hours. Cake will feel firm in center to touch, and top will be golden brown.





Tip out of pan onto cooling rack, peel off wax paper, let cool, and using a mesh strainer, sprinkle with icing sugar. Tout Fini!! Bon Appetit!! This is really a nice social tea cake, delicious and not too sweet :)




Looking forward to my visit with family!




6 comments:

  1. looks yummy! and I LOVE apricots. The blog looks great Karen!! :D and good for you for thinking outside of the can. I think lots of people need to do the same. Looking forward to reading more!!
    Cheers
    C

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, C. I'm looking forward to writing more! The topic of quick healthy meals to fit a busy liefstyle has been done to death, but it applies to me in a major way so I decided to go with it, we'll see how it goes :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Karen

    This is pretty cool...The pics and the cake look great (I'm not a fan of apricots thought!!) So how does this work..If i want to post a recipe do I add it to a comment of post it on my own blog..I guess I could do both!! I look forward to reading more!!
    E

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey E...thanks so much, and you can substitute any dried fruit to this cake if your don't like apricots, candied cherries work very well too, and mixing red and green ones makes a lovely christmas cake, not to mention pretty too!!
    So if you wish to post recipes, certainly feel free to in a comment, absolutely, I'm all for sharing !! ;) But if you'd like to start your own blog (which I have to tell you is a barrell of fun), go to www.blogger.com, start a google account, follow the directions, and away you go!!

    Good Luck,
    Karen

    btw, are you my old high school buddy E.P.?? Send me an e-mail if you are!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blog is off to a great start with such a beautiful cake!
    I love all the photos and the way you break the recipes down for your readers. I'm glad to hear that you're committed to cooking real food for your family. I find using my slow cooker helps a lot, especially in the left overs department.

    I agree it is fun to have your own blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there and thanks for your +ve feedback. I have visited your blog also and have made comments, you have some beautiful photos on yours! It is so much fun to have a blog, what a great way to learn new recipes!!

    ReplyDelete