Countless numbers of us, on a daily basis, are faced with the challenge of filling multiple roles. We must be spouses, parents, professionals, etc., and still find time and energy after all that to be health-conscious individuals! Life shouldn't be an exhausting struggle, it should be a collection of one enjoyable, memorable, fulfilling, experience after another, should it not? I mean, pardon the cliché, but life's too short to let it be anything else.

I am a self-proclaimed food hobbyist on a quest to find delicious, healthy, fast, easy-to-make recipes and to successfully make those food adjectives actually belong together in a sentence. I am looking for after work meals that don't come out of a can, that I can enjoy preparing after a long work day, that my family will enjoy eating, and that will allow me to rest assured knowing that we are eating healthy. When I find these meals, I wish to share them with others. Cheers :)

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Newfoundland Blood Pudding

For our most recent date night, my man and I ventured downtown to a restaurant called The Black Hoof.....it was amazing!!

I was told that the chef sometimes has a blood sausage on the menu that is to die for.....I was immediately intrigued, and had to find out if the blood sausage was anything like my grandmother's black pudding (one of my all time favorite foods in the world). Unfortunately there wasn't any blood sausage on the menu that night.

Ever since our evening out, however, I have been craving my grandmom's blood pudding, and the only access I have to it (other than going home to NF and getting it) is to drive out to my cousin's Newfoundland Store in Cambridge, where he has fresh, homemade Newfoundland black pudding in his cooler, just like my grandmom's -in fact, it's the recipe she used!

It's the Sunday of a long weekend, we were struggling trying to decide what to do for din din tonite, it was a beautiful day, and my craving got the better of me, all these factors contributed to my decision to take the fam and go for a nice drive out to Cambridge. And now sitting here watching my little one enjoying one of my favorite foods just as I did at my grandmom's as a child, and watching my husband enjoying my cultural cuisine as I very often enjoy his, I'm certainly glad I did!!

To prepare the pudding, just slice and pan fry in a little butter or margarine for approx. 5 minutes per side on high heat. Use a very wide spatula to turn or pudding may crumble when turning.

Serve and enjoy!









Looooooove blood pudding!!!

For dessert: Another blast from my past Purity Lemon Creams with Purity Partridgeberry and Apple Jam, and a nice cup of tea!! (I couldn't just stop at the blood pudding in my cousin's store after all!)



I'm in heaven. *siiiigh* if only we could be here:

(Rocky Harbour, Gros Morne Nat'l Park)



or here (Gros Morne Nat'l Park):



or here (the battery):



or here (whale - there she blows!!)



or here (the Narrows and Fort Amherst):



or here (my hometown, St. John's)



Cheers :)

5 comments:

  1. Hooray for blood pudding!! I think that the stuff at the Hoof is the same. It certainly looks the same. So good. Any places in Toronto you think might have it? I might have to get you to get some to Zlatko! Does it freeze well? So simple to make! I also like that you picked up some other throwbacks to your youth, I love those sorts of things. One of mine is pretzel soup. My grandfather used to make it for me. All it was was whole milk, butter, and crushed up (super crunchy, hard) pretzels. Just the thought of it makes me happy.
    And I love the pics of your home town Karen so beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Candice, really?? It looks the same as the blood sausage at The Black Hoof?? Wow, I really want to try his version now! If it is the same, you're right, it's soo good.

    Places in TO?? Hmmm, the only places that come to mind are Newfie Stores, there are a few in Brampton (I know that's far, almost worth the drive out to Cambridge if you'd go that far), and I remember there may be a place on Markham Rd. around Markham and Elsemere, not sure though, never been there, and when we used to live at DVP and Eglington, I visited a little Newfie store in the Vic Park and Lawrence area, can't quite remember where, and of course, if you want to get your hands on some, there's always me! I'll for sure get some to you via Zlatko, no problem at all. Yes it freezes very well, in fact you saw how much I bought in the picture, right? I don't get out to Cambridge very often so when I go, I usually go a little crazy and buy a whole freaking pudding....I'd be delighted to share some with you!! I already have it portioned out, packaged and frozen, I'll just bring some in to work for you, I'll bring some tomorrow.

    Pretzel soup, hey? Sounds great, it's nice to have those reminiscent memories of our childhood, warms the heart, I too have tonnes of those :)

    Yes looking at my photos from home makes me a little homesick, it certainly is beautiful out there, ya gotta go sometime!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Karen,
    I don't think i've ever had blood pudding, and if I have it may have been when I was really, really young. So long ago I wouldn't even remember if I liked it or not. I wonder if my mum makes it.. *thinks...*
    Either or, didn't think it would be so easy to prepare at home. I hope one day.... one day I'll be brave enough to give it a go :)
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there, yes most people cringe at the sound of it, but it is very very good, you should try it again. Thanks for your comment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete