Countless numbers of us, on a daily basis, are faced with the challenge of filling multiple roles. We must be spouses, parents, professionals, etc., and still find time and energy after all that to be health-conscious individuals! Life shouldn't be an exhausting struggle, it should be a collection of one enjoyable, memorable, fulfilling, experience after another, should it not? I mean, pardon the cliché, but life's too short to let it be anything else.

I am a self-proclaimed food hobbyist on a quest to find delicious, healthy, fast, easy-to-make recipes and to successfully make those food adjectives actually belong together in a sentence. I am looking for after work meals that don't come out of a can, that I can enjoy preparing after a long work day, that my family will enjoy eating, and that will allow me to rest assured knowing that we are eating healthy. When I find these meals, I wish to share them with others. Cheers :)

Friday, June 11, 2010

Sweet and Sour Meatballs

I had no idea what I wanted for dinner tonight but I knew I felt like something meaty, and tangy, and for a change, I actually had time to experiment!

What did I come up with? Meatballs with an Asian flair, in a tangy sweet and sour sauce, served over a bed of basmati rice....ummmm....deeelish! I also prepared the meatballs in the oven as per my mother's suggestion to expedite the cooking process. In the past, I would pan fry my home made meatballs, which took FOREVER, but this was sooo much easier and faster, and that's what I'm all about when it comes to cooking....big bang for your buck, small effort, big result! This turned out so good that I wrote everything down so I can reproduce what I did in the future (and share it with you here) :)

Ingredients:

Meatballs:

1 lb lean ground beef (or pork)
2 eggs
2 tbsp ginger grated
3 cloves garlic finely chopped
1/4 cup ketchup
1 1/2 cups bread crumbs
2 tbsp worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp liquid beef bouillon
1 tbsp soya sauce (after thought - not shown in photo)
3 tbsp sesame oil (after thought - not shown in photo)
2 tbsp finely chopped parsley (after thought - not shown in photo)
1 tbsp ground mustard
2 tbsp dijon mustard (after thought - not shown in photo)
1 tsp black pepper

Sauce:

3/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
3/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
3/4 cup diced pineapple
1 medium onion diced
3 cups VH Sweet and Sour Sauce
3 tbsp EVOO
1 tsp salt



1) Prepare Meatballs

Mix all ingredients thoroughlly by hand in a large mixing bowl.

Form into meatballs (approx. 1 inch diameter).

Arrange on a non stick cookie sheet.



Bake at 375F for 20-25 minutes (in convection oven, may need longer in non convection oven). Cut 1 meatball in half, if center is browned and steaming hot, and meatball is slightly firm to touch, it is cooked.



2) Start to prepare sauce while meatballs are cooking

Saute onion, red and green peppers until tender, salt to taste



3) Arrange meatballs with sauce in casserole dish

Spray bottom and sides of a casserole dish with cooking spray

Place meatballs in a casserole dish



Add sauteed veggies and pineapple

Pour sweet and sour sauce over top

Gently shift meatballs around to let sauce and veggies fill in spaces between meatballs, be careful not to break the meatballs when doing this



4) Bake meatballs in sauce

Cover casserole dish and bake at 375-400F for 30 minutes





5) Serve over basmati rice and enjoy!!!

10 comments:

  1. Did someone say balls?? I kid i kid...I must learn to get my mind out of the gutter.
    Love LOVE this idea of an Asian favourite in the form of ..... lol.... It looks so yummy and you simply can't go wrong with sweet 'n sour anything. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol!! Thanks for popping by, Jenn!! And thanks for your nice comments...Oh and I'm totally cool with where your mind is...personally?...my mind permanently resides in gutterville!! lol....it's a fun place to be ;)

    Hmmmm....gosh darn it...I could have done alot more with this post....I'm thinking back about the "Schweaty Balls" skit from SNL a while back, you know it? The one with Alex Baldwin?? Ummm "good times" lol, you're too funny!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my jenn is too funny....love your meatballs I especailly love the sauce, kid friendly

    sweetlife
    sweetlifebake.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Bonnie!! I know....her comment had me laughing out loud!

    Kid friendly - yes - my picky little one liked this dish alot! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Karen - This is such a great yummy treat for a weeknight. Over basmati its fabulous. What a refreshing new take on an old thing!

    Love it :)

    Ciao,
    Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Devaki, thanks again for visiting, and thanks for your comment....I'm all about easy home made meals on weeknights, and this one certainly meets that criterion..

    BTW...you mentioned you were interested in the kari ayam recipe...hope you got a chance to check it out!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hahahahaha... SCHWEATY BALLZ!!!! that skit is the best.
    Did you see the Betty White one? HILARIOUS xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVED the Betty White skit...Mmmmm Muffins!!! I love that lady....dirty with class lol....did you see her on the Comedy Central Roast of William Shatner?? Hilarious!! Thanx again for stopping by! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG you guys are hilarious! and let me just say, I have missed you all!! been so freakin busy here lately!! :(
    Karen, LOVE the new layout chicky. And yes I am going to say it; these balls look amazing!! Hope all is well!
    Cheers,
    C

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heeeey C!! Long time no chat! Great to c u....missed you too! Thanx for stopping by!! :D I know how it feels to be too freakin' busy to do anything....tell me about it! I've been going non stop too....family visiting, summer activities, etc. etc. not to mention how flippin' tired i am all the time...going to bed like 9:00 every nite....first trimester blahs! ;) Talk to you soon!

    Cheers,
    k

    ReplyDelete