Countless numbers of us, on a daily basis, are faced with the challenge of filling multiple roles. We must be spouses, parents, professionals, etc., and still find time and energy after all that to be health-conscious individuals! Life shouldn't be an exhausting struggle, it should be a collection of one enjoyable, memorable, fulfilling, experience after another, should it not? I mean, pardon the cliché, but life's too short to let it be anything else.

I am a self-proclaimed food hobbyist on a quest to find delicious, healthy, fast, easy-to-make recipes and to successfully make those food adjectives actually belong together in a sentence. I am looking for after work meals that don't come out of a can, that I can enjoy preparing after a long work day, that my family will enjoy eating, and that will allow me to rest assured knowing that we are eating healthy. When I find these meals, I wish to share them with others. Cheers :)

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Karen's "Pepperoniless" Pizza

I wanted pizza a few nights ago for dinner, but didn't feel like a greasy pepperoni pizza, which if I'm gonna do, I'm gonna go full tilt and do the bacon, sausage, extra cheese, etc., but I was feeling like behaving myself and I was in the mood to concoct so here we go.....

Ingredients:

Crust:

Store bought pre made thin crust whole wheat pizza crust (yes I wimped out on the crust....didn't feel like making my own today, and this was a healthy easy alternative)

Toppings:

Pre made store bought pizza sauce (hehe ummm...wimped out again *looking down, scuffing foot on ground*)
2 skinless boneless chicken breasts cut roughly into 1/2 inch cubes
1 cup extra lean kolbassa diced
1 cup sliced black olives
1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes (soak in hot water for ~ 15 min, and chop)
1/4 cup red onion finely chopped
2 cups low fat feta diced
2 cups low fat mozzarella grated



There were enough toppings for 2 pizzas, so I made 2 and enjoyed it for lunch all week :)

Prep all toppings

Saute chicken in basil and salt and pepper to taste



Arrange toppings on pizza (photo was taken before mozza went on)



Bake at 350F for 15-18 minutes



Voila!



I served this with a side of cesar salad:



Cheers ma dears!! :)

Cute Story:

When I served this pizza to my little cutie-pie 3 year old, she said "Ummmm!! Pizza!" Then she looked at it, picked the toppings off as per her usual routine, and with a confused look that was bordering on panic she asked me "Mommy?!? Where's the pepperoni??" hahaha...poor kid felt cheated, but after some reassurance and persuasion she loved it and asked for seconds ;)


*To get to blog from facebook go to http://www.thinkoutsidethecan.blogspot.com

5 comments:

  1. This is a great pizza with wonderful flavors. Love the use of feta which is so unusual. Wheat cough pizza too :)

    What's not to love?

    Ciao, Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Devaki, thanks for your comment!! Yes this pizza was quite good, and sooo easy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great pizza there is nothing wrong with great shortcuts...

    sweetlife

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Bonnie!! And yes I love to find easy ways to make good food!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Karen,
    when I first read the title of this post, I got kind of sad... Growing up, my mum always made homemade pizza. I think I had "bought" pizza for the first time in my teens. No joke. But homemade pizza also meant every other type of meat BUT pepperoni. And funny enough, I have it all the time.

    That being said, I love the toppings that you chose! I think those are always good alternatives to pepperoni. Brilliant job :)

    ReplyDelete