Countless numbers of us, on a daily basis, are faced with the challenge of filling multiple roles. We must be spouses, parents, professionals, etc., and still find time and energy after all that to be health-conscious individuals! Life shouldn't be an exhausting struggle, it should be a collection of one enjoyable, memorable, fulfilling, experience after another, should it not? I mean, pardon the cliché, but life's too short to let it be anything else.

I am a self-proclaimed food hobbyist on a quest to find delicious, healthy, fast, easy-to-make recipes and to successfully make those food adjectives actually belong together in a sentence. I am looking for after work meals that don't come out of a can, that I can enjoy preparing after a long work day, that my family will enjoy eating, and that will allow me to rest assured knowing that we are eating healthy. When I find these meals, I wish to share them with others. Cheers :)

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Zucchini Soup

I love fall. Walks outside in the crisp fresh air, admiring nature's color palette, knowing winter and with it the cozy feeling of being snowed in, curling up watching movies inside all day in your jammies, and days outside sliding, skating, building snowmen and snow forts, and having snowball fights are just around the corner.

I'm in the mood for a warm-you-up, healthy, quick, easy-to-make soup. My zucchini soup fits the bill perfectly. I love it because it's hot, delicious, and mild - the latter being very important to me lately as along with the 3rd trimester comes heartburn city...everything I eat, almost, gives me 10/10 heartburn. Oh well it's soooo worth it in the end!!

This recipe is ridiculously simple, and equally yummy.

Ingredients

7-8 medium sized zucchini diced
1 spanish onion chopped
1 carton low sodium chicken broth
Water as needed to increase volume
Dry chicken stock to taste (I try to use sparingly to reduce the sodium)
2 tbsp finely chopped basil (I skipped this today - yup, heartburn)
Shredded cheese (asiago, swiss or mozzarella work well)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Throw everything into a pot




Boil for 20-30 minutes, top up with water as needed



Puree with an immersion blender, skim foam off top




Pour into a bowl, top with shredded cheese, and serve! Yep that's all folks. Ummmm! So good.



This soup is also delicious served cold in the summer!

2 comments:

  1. This is a great looking soup Karen... hopefully mild enough for your tummy :) I'm just starting to feel the effects of spice during my pregnancy so I'm glad I finally found the time to see what you're up to ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. *GASP* You're preggie too?? CONGRATS Z!!! That's wonderful news.....your first???

    I have been away from blogging for a bit, been sick, but I'll be back, oh yes, I'll be back, thanks for stopping by!!

    ReplyDelete