Countless numbers of us, on a daily basis, are faced with the challenge of filling multiple roles. We must be spouses, parents, professionals, etc., and still find time and energy after all that to be health-conscious individuals! Life shouldn't be an exhausting struggle, it should be a collection of one enjoyable, memorable, fulfilling, experience after another, should it not? I mean, pardon the cliché, but life's too short to let it be anything else.

I am a self-proclaimed food hobbyist on a quest to find delicious, healthy, fast, easy-to-make recipes and to successfully make those food adjectives actually belong together in a sentence. I am looking for after work meals that don't come out of a can, that I can enjoy preparing after a long work day, that my family will enjoy eating, and that will allow me to rest assured knowing that we are eating healthy. When I find these meals, I wish to share them with others. Cheers :)

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Mmm-Mmmeatloaf!!

One of my favorite meatleof recipes is one that I adapted from a Weight Watcher's recipe book. It has an Italian flare, and it's delicious! Most importantly, it's quick, easy peasy, and of course healthy.







Ingredients:

2 lb lean ground beef
1 medium sized yellow onion finely chopped
3 cloves of garlic finely chopped
1/2 green pepper finely chopped
3/4 cup ketchup
2 tbsp dijon mustard
1 tbsp worchestershire sauce
1 tbsp fennel
2 tbsp Italian seasoning
3/4 cup Italian seasoned dry bread crumbs
2 large eggs
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 cup pasta sauce
2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese















Preheat oven to 400F

Hand mix all ingredients (except pasta sauce and parmesan) in a large mixing bowl. Make sure ingredients are blended together well.

Spray a non stick loaf pan with non stick cooking spray.

Transfer mixture to loaf pan, flatten on top with hand.

Spread pasta sauce over top, and sprinkle with parmesan.



Bake at 400F for 45-60 minutes.

Let stand for approx 10 minutes before slicing.

Use 2 large spatulas to loosen from sides of pan, and transfer onto serving platter.

I like to serve this meatloaf with garlic mashed potatoes, and this salad:

Baby spinach
Sliced pears
Dried cranberries
Chopped red onion
Roasted walnuts
Goat cheese crumbled (or blue cheese)

Creamy Poppyseed Dressing:

1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup white vinegar
2 tbsp chopped onion
2 tbsp strawberry jam
1 tbsp poppyseeds
1/2 cup vegetable oil
Blend 1st four ingredients at high speed, drizzle in veg. oil while blender is running to emulsify the veg. oil




Garlic Mashed Potatoes:

Mash 5 medium boiled potatoes
Stir in 1/3 cup butter
2 garlic cloves pressed
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 tbsp finely chopped basil
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper



Prep time, approx. 20 minutes, cook time ~50 minutes.

This meatloaf is sooo flavorful, it's always a hit with the fam, bon appetit!!

2 comments:

  1. Wow - I am three posts behind! Looks like you've been pretty busy in the kitchen :)
    I love meatloaf. Most people gag when they hear it but I love it, and I love this weight watchers version. My mom used to make meatloaf with cheese in it which I am sure is way not healthy :)

    I am also loving this salad!! I totally love poppy seed dressing but have never tried to make it. I'll def use the recipe, thanks for sharing Karen!
    C

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey C., yes been busy despite my kitchen being in ruins from a major reno project!!

    This is 1 of my favorite salads and the dressing is delicious, give it a try definately! :)

    ReplyDelete