Countless numbers of us, on a daily basis, are faced with the challenge of filling multiple roles. We must be spouses, parents, professionals, etc., and still find time and energy after all that to be health-conscious individuals! Life shouldn't be an exhausting struggle, it should be a collection of one enjoyable, memorable, fulfilling, experience after another, should it not? I mean, pardon the cliché, but life's too short to let it be anything else.

I am a self-proclaimed food hobbyist on a quest to find delicious, healthy, fast, easy-to-make recipes and to successfully make those food adjectives actually belong together in a sentence. I am looking for after work meals that don't come out of a can, that I can enjoy preparing after a long work day, that my family will enjoy eating, and that will allow me to rest assured knowing that we are eating healthy. When I find these meals, I wish to share them with others. Cheers :)

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Broccoli and Tomato Quiche

Quiche is definately a dish that meets my "suitable to prepare after work" criterion. It's quick and easy, healthy, filling, and oh so delicious.

I like to make mine with broccoli, tomato, and cheese, no meat, I feel there's enough protein from the eggs.


Ingredients:3-4 eggs
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1/2 cup low fat sour cream
2 cups small broccoli florets
1/2 cup chopped onion
3 cloves of garlic finely chopped
1 plum tomato thinly sliced
1/2 cup grated swiss cheese
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 tbsp thyme finely chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1 pie shell (if you don't have time/energy to make your own pie crust and roll out dough after work, there's always Tenderflake brand pie shells, and if you're going this route, as I have many times, and feel no shame for doing so, get the deep dish pie shell, the regular will result in a spillover in your oven!!)

Saute broccoli onion and garlic until tender (~10 min)



Spread grated Swiss cheese over bottom of pie crust




Whisk eggs, evap. milk, sour cream, thyme, salt and pepper in a bowl

Spread Broccoli, onions and garlic over the cheese layer




Pour egg mixture over vegetables



Arrange plum tomato slices on top of the quiche



Sprinkle the grated parmesan cheese over the tomato layer

Bake at 375F for 35-40 minutes until a knife inserted into center comes out clean

Let stand for approx. 5-10 minutes before slicing to serve hot, or let cool and serve at room temp.



I usually serve the quiche with a garden side salad



Enjoy!!!

3 comments:

  1. The tomatoes turned out amazing. The browing on the quiche wasn't even done with a torch. Really great tasting too. Awsome job Karen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel NO shame in buying pie shells. I am no pastry chef so who am I to make pie dough?! :)
    Looks great Karen! I will have to keep this recipe on file for the next time I am invited to a brunch.

    ReplyDelete