Countless numbers of us, on a daily basis, are faced with the challenge of filling multiple roles. We must be spouses, parents, professionals, etc., and still find time and energy after all that to be health-conscious individuals! Life shouldn't be an exhausting struggle, it should be a collection of one enjoyable, memorable, fulfilling, experience after another, should it not? I mean, pardon the cliché, but life's too short to let it be anything else.

I am a self-proclaimed food hobbyist on a quest to find delicious, healthy, fast, easy-to-make recipes and to successfully make those food adjectives actually belong together in a sentence. I am looking for after work meals that don't come out of a can, that I can enjoy preparing after a long work day, that my family will enjoy eating, and that will allow me to rest assured knowing that we are eating healthy. When I find these meals, I wish to share them with others. Cheers :)

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Chicken with Pickled Mustard Green Stir Fry

Yummmmmy, yummy, yummy!! This is a recipe I learned from my husband, who learned it from his mom (who is an amazing cook I must say, and whose dishes I someday hope to master). It is super easy, and packed with flavour!!

Ingredients:2 skinless boneless chicken breasts cut "against the grain" into 1/2 inch strips
1 pkg. pickled mustard greens (drained and chopped)
2 tomatoes cut into wedges
2-3 Ontario grown king mushrooms sliced lengthwise (~1/8 inch thick)
1 cup bean sprouts
3-4 garlic cloves finely chopped
2 tsp finely chopped ginger root
1 tsp white pepper
1 tbsp soya sauce
1 tbsp sesame oil
1/2 tbsp oyster sauce
2 tbsp veg oil



Marinate the chicken in soya sauce, sesame oil, oyster sauce, and white pepper

Heat veg oil in large frying pan

Saute garlic and ginger

Add marinated chicken breasts to pan, saute until chicken is cooked (~10 minutes)

Add pickled mustard greens, tomatoes and mushrooms, saute until mushrooms are tender (~5 minutes)

Stir in bean sprouts, remove from heat, the bean sprouts do not need to cook, the heat from the stir fry will soften the bean sprouts sufficiently.

I like to serve this with a side of steamed rice. This stir fry bursts with flavour, and the pickled greens make it tart so the rice helps to absorb some of that tartness...



Total prep time ~30 minutes!

Thanks mom!!

2 comments:

  1. very good after work recipe - you can literally throw it together in no time!!
    How long do you marinate the meat for?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey C., yeah it literally takes no time to prep., I marinate the chicken for maybe 10 minutes or so, just while I'm prepping the rest of the ingredients. It's not really a marinating per say I guess, it's just to flavour the chicken :)

    ReplyDelete